Saturday, April 16, 2005

From Jeanne

Jan and I renewed our wedding vows this afternoon at 2:00. There were about 14 people in attendance. The Catholic church wants new people to renew their wedding vows. Who knows what kind of a wedding we might have had back in the Sixties; for all they know we walked down the outdoor aisle barefoot to a friend singing "Blowin' in the Wind" and made promises to stay together as long as we both shall love. So I understood, but I didn't have a very good attitude, to be truthful.
Well, the beauty and meaning of what we were doing caught us both off guard. I believe that we said our vows to each other with far more committment and love than we did 36 years ago. When we promised that we would love each other in sickness and in health, we both knew as 59-year olds that we will be aging together, that there will be suffering ahead, and we committed to love each other through that. Jan said his vows so sincerely, looking into my eyes with dearest love, I was not able to begin to speak my vows. I simply couldn't speak. The priest just repeated the first line slowly several times until I finally croaked my vows out, very tearfully. I truly feel that we have a new beginning. Well, another day in Monument, Colorado.
Love, Mom
Come on guys, let's have some blogging.

No comments: